Teriyaki Chicken Plate
This recipe is very flavourful and is filled with wholesome nutrients, vitamins and fibre.
Unlike most teriyaki recipes, this doesn’t contain sugar, yet it maintains a sweet undertone.
Serve on a bed of baby arugula and quinoa.
What you need
1 can naturally sweetened, zero calorie lemon lime soda (Zevia brand)
½ cup soy sauce
¾ cup brown rice vinegar
1 medium yellow onion – half minced and half thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1 Tablespoon coconut crystals (or 1 teaspoon agave nectar or 1 packet Stevia)
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch segments
2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
optional rocket and cooked quinoa
1. Combine the soda, soy sauce, vinegar, minced onion, garlic, ginger and coconut crystals in a bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Place in refrigerator overnight.
2. Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry. Reserve 1 cup of marinade.
3. Heat one teaspoon of coconut oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken and heat on medium high, turning once, for 8-10 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
4. Wipe out the skillet. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Add the sliced onion and asparagus. Cook for 5 minutes, until browned. Add the reserved marinade and boil until slightly reduced. Add the cilantro.
5. Serve over a bed of baby arugula and cooked quinoa.
One serving equals: 289 calories, 13g fat, 963mg sodium, 4.8g carbohydrate, 3g fibre, and 29g protein